Saturday 1 January 2011

Catholic FAQ

(Laminate and issue to all Catholic congregations)


If I fall pregnant and suffer a life threatening illness that requires an abortion to save me, can I secure that life-saving treatment?
  • There's good news and bad news. The good news is that an indirect abortion, whereby treatment of the illness has the double effect of aborting the baby*, is allowed. The bad news is that if the only treatment available requires a direct abortion, involving an action to end the life of the baby*, that is not allowed. You, and your baby*, must die, which is the greater good.


If I'm serving the community and advising on such abortions, what will happen to me if I approve an abortion that the Church considers direct?
  • You will be summarily excommunicated, which is the greater good.

If a priest abuses children in his care, what will happen to him?
  • He will be given pastoral care and help to re-integrate into the community. Well, a nearby community, anyway, which is the greater good.


If I discover that a priest is abusing children in his care, what will happen if I inform the local authorities?
  • You will be summarily excommunicated, which is the greater good.


If I'm married and my spouse contracts HIV, can I wear a condom to prevent catching the fatal disease?
  • There's good news and bad news. The good news is that you could become a prostitute and your spouse could then procure your services for sex, in which case condom use would be seen as a step on the road to a greater morality. The bad news is that if you simply want to have a loving conjugal relationship, condom use is a mortal sin, so you must risk contracting the fatal disease, which is the greater good.


    I've got five children already and cannot afford any more, but I still want to enjoy full conjugal relations; can I use artificial contraceptives to avoid falling pregnant?
    • No; you may use hit and miss methods, such as the rhythm method, or refrain from sexual relations altogether, which is the greater good.


    If I contract a terminal illness that removes all vestiges of humanity and dignity from my dying days, can I take charge of my life and end my inhumane and undignified existence?
    • This is all bad news, I'm afraid, which we like to call 'good news'. The answer is No, which is the greater good.


    I'm a homosexual. Can I...?
    • Stop there. No, which is the greater good.



    *We mean foetus.
    Enhanced by Zemanta

    0 comments:

    Post a Comment